jeudi 6 mai 2010

Riots and trying to help

Rioting in the streets, dozens of people trowing molotov cocktails, rocks larger than a fist, hammers, knives...

90% of the people of the protest were peaceful. Angry as HELL but non-violent and simply walking down the streets chanting slogans (I know what "The People, united, will never be defeated!" sounds like in Greek!) while the last few of the march were the ones settings fires, breaking windows, etc.

I was coming back from the Acropolis and found myself for the second time in the protest. The first time had been alright, without any problems, I had just walked across it. But this time the violence had started. The fisrt few fires were dangerous enough but things started to get really messy when they went after the buildings.

First a kiosk selling magazines and snacks was burned and THEN a building was set on fire while the firefighters were taking their sweet time getting there...I tried to divert the trafic away from it when I saw the glass breaking under the pressure and the heat as well as bursts of flammes coming from the inside but it still took at least five to ten minutes for the firefighters to come. It's not like they were that far away...but it might simply be my frustration from not being able to do more. Three people died and a guy in a t-shirt and with no tools could not do anything. Still feels very...frustrating?

Anyway, I'm fine, the tear gas was not too hard to tolerate and I was not harmed by the criminals.

I'm off to Istanbul,

Thanks for reading,

Renaud

2 commentaires:

  1. I thought I saw you on the evening news...
    Be careful, my friend!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. C'est certain qu'on pensait à toi très fort.
    Thanks for the news.

    RépondreSupprimer